Museum De Buitenplaats Museum De Buitenplaats
Nijsinghhuis Nijsinghhuis
Nijsinghhuis Nijsinghhuis
Orangerie Orangerie
Museumcafé Museumcafé
Museumshop Museumshop
Arno Kramer, zonder titel, 2016, houtskool en aquarel op papier, 43 x 51,6 cm fo Henk Visch, Master of ceremonies, 2016, brons, 185 x 105 x 70 cm

Enter for a moment a surprisingly different world: that of Museum De Buitenplaats in Eelde. The museum was opened in 1996 by her majesty the queen. The building itself is worth seeing. It is a much discussed example of organic architecture. Cemented walls alternate with neatly piled retaining walls planted with creepers. Flowering roof gardens and colorful borders change into green "outdoor rooms". The walls of these rooms consist of clipped beech and yew bushes. The museum pavilion and the museum garden as it where frame the exhibitions and podium events. The exhibitions focus on contemporary figurative Dutch art, in conjunction with  art with other emphases, other countries and other times. In the midst of all this one can enjoy other expressive art forms: from chamber music to complete opera's, from poetry to salsa. Next to the museum is the "Nijsinghhuis". This state monument  from 1654 frequently opens its door  to the public.  The house has been made very attractive with many interior wallpaintings  by Matthijs Röling, Wout Muller, Peter Pander, Olga Wiese and Clary Mastenbroek. The owner and occupier of the house is Jos van Groeningen. Together with his wife Janneke van Groeningen Hazewinkel (died 2007) they founded the museum.


High winds move slowly. Arno Kramer en Henk Visch
1 April 2017 - 25 Juni 2017

Museum De Buitenplaats presents a joint exhibition with works of the drawing artist Arno Kramer (1945) and the sculptor Henk Visch (1950). It is the first time that work of these two artists has been brought together in one exhibition, although they have known one other for a long time. The exhibition goes more deeply into the similarities and differences between their oeuvres. While Arno Kramer is predominantly engaged in making drawings and so-called drawing-installations, Henk Visch focuses on making sculptures in the broadest sense of the word.

To Museum De Buitenplaats, drawing and sculpture are both key focus areas and this exhibition particularly emphasizes the interface between the two media. Both Arno Kramer and Henk Visch experiment with the possibilities of the figurative and the abstract, at the same time examining how they affect one another in the visual sphere. This experiment with the balance between figuration and abstraction is enhanced in this exhibition by the way the artists examine the relation between the two-dimensional and the three-dimensional aspects of drawing and sculpture.

To both artists, diversity of size, method of working and material are major aspects, but so is language. More often than not, the titles of Henk Visch's sculptures are poetical and engaged, encouraging the viewer to consider the sculpture and the cohesion of the presented objects from a different perspective. In addition to being an artist, Arno Kramer is also a poet. Although he never gives titles to his drawings, his poetry, which is invariably extremely expressive, indirectly plays a major role.

By presenting works by Henk Visch and Arno Kramer in a joint exhibition, two worlds are temporarily becoming one: a world where Henk Visch plots the course for the spectator, governing his way of looking and guiding him towards the edge of this world, where Arno Kramer takes over.

The garden of museum  "de Buitenplaats" was designed by Copijn (Utrecht) and Janneke van Groeningen-Hazewinkel in mutual cooperation. It has been open to the public  since the summer of 2000. The garden has an organic part and a formal part. The organic part is consistent with the architecture of the museum pavilion and extends onto the roof of the museum pavilion.  The sculpture garden is also located here. Behind the Nijsinghhuis is the more formal geometric garden with a mirroring pond, apple orchard and spectacular borders with flowers. This part also has the serpentine wall with roses and grapes.  Visual lines with water  conduits and borders connect both gardens. The many clipped holly, beech and yew bushes create a fresh looking "green architecture" that  also offers outside the flower season  an aesthetic experience. The garden always has sculpture show. 

This beautifully restored 17th century state monument was the starting point for museum "de Buitenplaats". Over time a number of spaces  in the Nijsinghhuis have been painted  by figurative working artists. In 1983 Mathijs Röling started with the "blue room". After that he did the library and the entry walls. He already had painted together with Wout Muller a circular sky with stars. Wout Muller created an "erotic cabinet". The windows of this small room give a view of the garden. Garden scenes are  also the background on the erotic panels. Peter Pander painted a wall in the former stable and upstairs  Clary mastenbroek and Olga Wiese each did a room.

Are you looking for a stylish environment  for a wedding, a lecture or any other event, the orangerie is very appropriate for any of these. Since 2009 the orangerie is also the wedding location for the municipality of Tynaarlo. Starting in the 17th century many important houses had an orangerie in which plants could survive the winter. Over time these small and stylish buildings became a fashion. Not only plants, but also guests felt home in them. Around 1890 many important houses acquired a small orangerie attached to the house : he conservatory. The orangerie can seat 20 people. When the weather is good there is plenty of room for more guests. The orangerie is an inspiring environment for a variety of plans and  we can offer you a program that fits your needs. 

In our museum cafe one can enjoy a cup of coffee or tea with a piece of our home made pastries. These are made fresh and are made with real butter. Many people return for  our apple-crumble or walnut-honey pastry.  We also serve a light lunch. 

The museum shop has been further expanded  in order to offer a wide assortment of art presents. Besides a varied amount of art and garden books there is also a wide variety in art cards for every occasion.


Tuesdays to Sundays from 11.00 to 17.00  a' clock and on Easter and Whit Monday.

The museum is closed on Christmas Day and New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. 

During the summer months, the museum hosts an exhibition of sculptures in the garden.


Hoofdweg 76

9761 EK Eelde

+31 (0)50 30 95 818

Please note in connection with the concerts on Sunday afternoon (approximately 14:00 to 15:00 a' clock) that shortly before the performance it will be decided if the concert will take place in the museum or on the outdoor stage.

When the concert will be held in the museum hall, the exhibition is not open to visitors during this time.


Adult10.00 EUR
Children aged 13 years and over10.00 EUR
Children under 12 yearsFree
Concessions (disabled)*5,-   EUR
Holders of a "Friends of the Museum"card ("vriendenkaart")Admission free
Group rates - for groups of 10 or 10% discount per person9,-   EUR
Guide tours - Museum or the Museum Garden (10 participants)2.00 EUR
Guided tour Nijsinghhuis9.00 EUR
Passe Partout both Museum and Nijsinghhuis15.00 EUR

* Parts of the museum and the garden are not accessible with a wheelchair. But most areas are accessible.